Member's Avatar (Members Account Picture) & Instructions

Welcome aboard! Please introduce yourself & attach a photo of your ride.

Member's Avatar (Members Account Picture) & Instructions

New postby Butcher on Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:31 am

I have ascertained that ideal (optimum)avatar pixel size for this forum software is 160 x 120 pixels (4:3 ratio), or 160 x 160 pixels (1:1 ratio). This allows status to show to the right of avatar image correctly, which will be hidden (obscured) behind image otherwise.

I have set maximum avatar image size to 256kb, which should allow plenty of overhead.

Below is an example of correctly sized 4:3 avatar.
160 x 120.jpg

Below is an example of correctly sized 1:1 avatar.
160 x 160.jpg

Let me know what you guy's think. I am researching an easy way for members to create avatar image simply with NO previous computer graphics editing experience. I believe there is free websites that can resize and crop images for free.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Butcher on Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:31 am, edited 6 times in total.
‘Fix it and try again’ - Burt Munro.

‘You live more in 5 minutes on a motorcycle than most people do in a lifetime’ - Burt Munro.
Butcher
Your Rank:TM400 "Cyclone"

Re: Member's Avatar (Members Account Picture) & Instructions

New postby Butcher on Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:46 am

How to add / edit personal avatar:

a) Click on 'User control Panel', top left of page.
a.jpg

b) Click 'Profile'
b.jpg

c) Click 'Edit avatar'
c.jpg

d) Click 'Browse...'
d.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Butcher on Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

‘You live more in 5 minutes on a motorcycle than most people do in a lifetime’ - Burt Munro.
Butcher

New postby Butcher on Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:13 am

This free site seems to work ok...

http://resizeimage.net/

a) Select '1. Upload an Image' and upload your photo.

b) Scroll down to '2. Crop your image (optional)' and drag mouse cursor over it to select area of photo you want to use. One can select face, or bike etc.

c) Click on 'Crop', just above and to the right of image. This will just use the part of the image you selected and display it.

d) You can 'rotate' image, if necessary. Say, if photo displays up side down, or camera took photo upside down etc.

e) Scroll town to '4. Resize your image' and enter '160' (pixels) into the middle box. Ensure 'Keep Aspect Ratio' tick box is selected, otherwise image will look wrong!

f) Scroll down further and click 'Resize Image'.

g) A new option for 'Download image' will become available on screen. Click this and download (save) your new resized avatar image to your computer. Then go thru procedure above (2nd post) to add your avatar onto this forum!

Good luck.
Last edited by Butcher on Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Butcher

New postby Robotstar5 on Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:41 am

Thanks for the info, testing re-sized avatar with this post :D
If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's an electrical problem
Robotstar5
Your Rank:TC90 "Blazer"

New postby Butcher on Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:40 am

Good work Mr. Robotstar5 ! Some members have very 'stretched' images that looked a bit daft. It is a shame that the forum software does not shrink images in size to 'fit' the avatar area. Having such small images makes them look a bit grainy in my opinion!

There is also god old IrfanView http://www.irfanview.com/ I may choose to do a (quick) guide on that also. Editing photo images is not also fun, but really handy. I have bad habit these days of snapping lots of photos and deleting the ones I don't want. Good old digital cameras! Gone are the days of film cameras and scanning into a computer to edit. With digital images, one just copies to Their computer ! although I have good memories of my trusty old Amiga 1200!

Butcher

New postby Robotstar5 on Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:18 pm

I've been "snapping" for the best part of 50 years :) I went digital about 15 years ago, I mainly use ACDcee for photo management and Paintshop Pro for manipulation.
If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's an electrical problem
Robotstar5
Your Rank:TC90 "Blazer"

New postby Butcher on Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:57 pm

That is awesome! I used to use Paintshop Pro about 15 years ago until I discovered IrfanView. I never liked Photoshop though. Too slow on hardware back then. I am not much of a fan of Macs, although Amigas are cool! I did use ACDcee for a bit. On my Amiga I used to use program called Photogenics (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photogenics). It is available on PC now too.

I mostly crop, resize (rescale) and convert to .jpg. i have an old samsung camera that takes a good shot. It is 12MB. My Bro owns an SLR camera. Has good zoom optical lens. Cost Him a pretty penny! Shame battery doesn't last long. My old Samsung loves to eat batteries too.

I bet technology has changed a lot over 50 years! Reminds me, I must scan some old photos I inherited. Somewhere must exist photos of me on my old dirt bikes. I'd love to see those again.

Butcher

Return to Introductions