'69 TS250 Restoration

Also the DS250.

Re: '69 TS250 Restoration

New postby apex on Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:06 am

Yes, still have it.

Time for some '69 TS250 work. The rear wheel of this bike was stolen, I noted this on page 1 of this thread. Or a ghost took it, or kids took it...who knows. I got another rear rim to put the bike together...but never noticed during assembly that the bead area, on the right side, was swollen from rust. This caused the tire bead in one spot to look unseated. REALLY looked like crap when riding the bike, what with a big 'ol kick as the wheel turned, or "divot" causing the appearance of the tire jumping when the wheel was rotating. I put up with it, but my buddies bashing me about it finally got to the best of me.

Finding a good, straight, non-pitted TS250 rear rim is not easy. I looked on and off on eBay for a while, but never with any persistence. When I was following another buddy of mine, he riding the TS, it got to me. Started some real digging and found there are quite a bit of suspension, wheel, and other carry over parts with T350's and T500's. And it turns out the rear rim is the same dimensions as a T500. And there are PLENTY of those rims on eBay. The rear rim is WIDE, wider than any Yamaha or Kawasaki, or Honda enduro I've messed with. So I got a nice one shipped for $45 from Texas. No pitting, chrome better than the one on the bike, and except for a minor divot in the edge on the left side (probably why it was replaced), perfect for my TS.
IMG_0925.JPG

Here's where the divot sat on the tire.
IMG_0923.JPG

IMG_0945.JPG

While at it replacing the rear rim, I'd also about had it with the 52 tooth rear sprocket on the street. Total garbage, 45 MPH is all the bike liked. Found a 41 tooth sprocket used in Spokane, WA, for $35 shipped. Cleaned and painted, installed on the hub, ready to give me some top end. I think the "new to me" sprocket might be an original '70 model, as specifications seem to make me think Suzuki made a gearing change in '70.
IMG_0921.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by apex on Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
BRAAAP
:mrgreen:
apex
Your Rank:TS125 "Duster"

New postby apex on Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:08 am

While at the rear wheel, did a deep dive re-cleaning, and polishing. Not shown here, but removed the rear fender, completely disassembled the rear tail light & bracket, oil tank off, and fender guard. Got into every nook and cranny with wet towels, dry towels, carnuba wax, chrome polish, Mother's aluminum polish...everything that needed attention got it. While the spokes were off the rear wheel they got a Dawn scrubbing, re-polished the center vanes of the hub...every nook and cranny within reason got hit with some agent of clean.

IMG_0922.JPG

And it was worth it. The '72 RT2 360 Yamaha is my latest restoration, a very well deserving retired police officer got it at a serious "buddy price" and we trip around smoking the neighborhoods of our town every weekend.

IMG_0928.JPG

IMG_0943.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by apex on Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
BRAAAP
apex

New postby apex on Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:10 am

Shufoy wrote:I so wanna see these Pics mate, but all I see are little black boxes marked image...

OK so I edited out the [IMG] pics and uploaded the pics to the forum server, now the posts are out of order, but the Pics Can Be Seen!
Last edited by apex on Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
BRAAAP
apex

New postby Butcher on Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:38 am

"now the posts are out of order, but the Pics Can Be Seen!"

Haha, first world problems eh?!

Mr. apex bike is looking wicked! So shiny. I bet your mate might come in handy one day for the unexpected 'ticket'...
‘Fix it and try again’ - Burt Munro.

‘You live more in 5 minutes on a motorcycle than most people do in a lifetime’ - Burt Munro.
Butcher
Your Rank:TM400 "Cyclone"

New postby Shufoy on Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:22 am

Geez that does look good, I dare you to go mud bashing, go on mate!!!

Mine has a 50 Tooth rear sprocket which I think is the standard on the 69, I know there were a few different one available but only slight variations, 51 tooth, 52 tooth, never seen a 42 tooth!? How did it effect performance?
Shufoy
Your Rank:TS185 "Sierra"

New postby MyBad on Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:57 am

Apex, that bike would put a horn on a jelly fish.

From my recent research the 69 TS250 was derived from the T500 so it would be reasonable to say it could share many parts,
MyBad
Your Rank:TS400 "Apache"

New postby apex on Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:13 am

Shufoy wrote:Geez that does look good, I dare you to go mud bashing, go on mate!!!

Mine has a 50 Tooth rear sprocket which I think is the standard on the 69, I know there were a few different one available but only slight variations, 51 tooth, 52 tooth, never seen a 42 tooth!? How did it effect performance?

I have other bikes for mud bashing, I could fund 2 Yamaha restorations with what I have in that TS, so it's a street bike for me, period.

The change for street riding is simply put: RELIEVING!!! I obviously have to slip the clutch a little more on takeoff, but not being into 3rd gear on the other side of an intersection is brilliant. Bike is just more rideable and less stressed out when needing to go 50+.

Thanks guys, still really in love with the bike. Things I want to do in the future are, find a '70 model turn down tip to try to alleviate the oil spray from long tip the '69's have, install a brake light switch on the lever, replace the broken dip switch lever on the left controls, and a new front tire. Got nothing but time... :mrgreen:
BRAAAP
apex

New postby apex on Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:29 am

Butcher, you would be proud! I took it to the dirt. I didn't "bash" it but did some light single tracking. Didn't even use a truck to haul it out there, rode it the 20 miles out to Carnegie OHV park from my house, nice little 50 mile ride!
BRAAAP
apex

New postby Butcher on Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:58 am

Choice! I did a pretty plain 12km ride today on the 50. Almost ran out of gas! Probably does 300km on a tank!

Your TS would of loved that ride.

How did the trials tyres perform? I got a little sideways on some shingle today. Ass end came out a little bit :P Needed knoblies!

And I bet you got some good comments from the bike fraternity? Sort of Ooohs and Aaas!
Last edited by Butcher on Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

‘You live more in 5 minutes on a motorcycle than most people do in a lifetime’ - Burt Munro.
Butcher

New postby apex on Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:34 am

Butcher wrote:How did the trials tyres perform? I got a little sideways on some shingle today. Ass end came out a little bit :P Needed knoblies!

And I bet you got some good comments from the bike fraternity? Sort of Ooohs and Aaas!

I've gotten used to the trials tires, they work great unless the mud gets really sticky, then you're ice skating. But otherwise I love them and don;t miss knobbies at all.

Some oohs, some ahhs...most riders at this place scoff at anything other than a modern dirtbike...
BRAAAP
apex

New postby Butcher on Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:25 am

"Some oohs, some ahhs...most riders at this place scoff at anything other than a modern dirtbike..."

Tossers. Probably not able to change a flat, let alone hair wax. "Oooh, look at me, no, look at me....." Tossers.

Probably 1/2 to 1" of rain today, so no riding. 30 degree (C) days (and 25 degree nights) down to, um, lovely 15 degrees now... Cold.

Butcher

New postby Butcher on Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:30 am

Bro had b-day this weekend and is now in receipt of an '80 TS. He is stoked.

Ya got to imagine "hair band" rider in seat of a classic vintage machine. Damn, there might be a place for bikes OLDER than 50 years young. Not 5 years, or 5 months.....

Um, I have heard this before, .... But, WHEN does TS turn 50 ? :D :D :D
Last edited by Butcher on Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Butcher

New postby MyBad on Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:56 am

Um, I have heard this before, .... But, WHEN does TS turn 50 ?

You have a bit over a year to bake the cake Butcher, April 69 seems to be the most acceptable date for the TS250
MyBad
Your Rank:TS400 "Apache"

New postby Butcher on Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:16 pm

Seems like yesterdey...

Butcher

Previous

Return to TS250 'Savage' & 'Hustler'