Just Bought Myself a 74 TC125

The TC125 'Prospector'.

Just Bought Myself a 74 TC125

New postby lukegordon723 on Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:12 pm

Last night I purchased a Tc125 that needs a bit of work. It is my first motorcycle and im interested in getting back to being road worthy as something I can drive around on just for some fun. So far I've realized that the oil pump system has been deleted but that is not a good idea. Also I know it needs a battery and various bulbs to be road worthy. Where could one go to get these parts? Also i've noticed that there are several 1 letter suffixes for the bikes, how can i know for sure which one i have?
lukegordon723
Your Rank:TS50 "Gaucho"

Re: Just Bought Myself a 74 TC125

New postby lukegordon723 on Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:56 pm

Just did some digging and found that the oil pump is indeed there. All of the lines seem to be hooked up, except the one that runs from the bottom of the oil tank to the pump itself, but it is there. the throttle cable is there and moves freely and returns under spring pressure. here is some pictures. https://imgur.com/a/yq8n0 Could it be as simple as hooking the line back up to the tank and bleeding it? The previous owner said he disconnected it because he didnt trust it (idiot) Should be apprehensive that it isnt working? how can i check its functionality?
lukegordon723

New postby MyBad on Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:00 pm

All your questions are in the forum and wiki. Do a search.
Also there is a chart where you can check your frame number for model year.
MyBad
Your Rank:TS400 "Apache"

New postby Butcher on Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:11 pm

http://suzukits.informe.com/wiki/

It is called HPTROP. Hammer People That Remove Oil Pump!

Buy new PVC oil line from handyman's store. About $1. Clear is best. Fit. Then bleed pump (loosen philips head screw with red washer behind it untill you collect about 2 teaspoons of oil. This primes pump and bleeds out any air bubbles).

Get a copy of manual. (Hint. Manuals section of this site). Sit down and read it.

Introductions, if you like...

http://suzukits.informe.com/forum/introductions-f194/

Feel free to ask and brows this site. There is a lot of good info...

Oh and check your carbs o ring! (main jet o ring).

http://suzukits.informe.com/forum/service-user-owner-data-wiring-library-microfiche-f297/
Last edited by Butcher on Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
‘Fix it and try again’ - Burt Munro.

‘You live more in 5 minutes on a motorcycle than most people do in a lifetime’ - Burt Munro.
Butcher
Your Rank:TM400 "Cyclone"

New postby LWC82PE on Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:51 pm

Where could one go to get these parts?

A suzuki dealer or regular bike shop. Ebay or online dealer if you don't care about paying more for the item.

also i posted links to sources for globes in the 'links section' Please have a decent look around here.
Wanted - 1978 TS185C frame with Australian compliance plate
LWC82PE
Your Rank:TM400 "Cyclone"

New postby kbzx6r on Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:49 pm

Congratulations on your new old bike and welcome to the forum. I checked your pics. Your oil pump looks decent. Once you sort out the tank and bleed the pump you should be able to see the oil moving through the lines.

The cork gaskets and permatex between the isolator and carb and cylinder are wrong. It's supposed to have a dark grey gasket and o-ring on the carb. Also the mounting nuts should have a flat washer and lock washer.

The rust on your battery box and resistor is a sure sign this bike was run without a battery breather hose. When you replace the battery be sure to put one on. It needs to hang down below the bottom of the swingarm. If your new battery does not come with a breather hose some clear aquarium air hose will work.

Here are a couple good sources of parts and the exploded views are helpful to understanding how things are supposed to go together.

https://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oemparts/l/suz/50d3b5e4f870021958f2632a/1974-tc125-parts

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/suzuki/motorcycle/1974/tc125
Labor Rate $80/hr, If You Watch $100/hr, If You Help $120/hr, If You Worked On It Before $200/hr
Now - 75 TS250, 02 Kaw ZX-6R
Before - 70 T350, 71 TS250, 72 GT380, 72 TS125, 72 TS250, 75 Yam YZ360B, 72 GT380 diy cafe racer, 80 GS750, 73 TS185, 82 GS1100
kbzx6r

New postby MyBad on Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:50 pm

Interesting drain screw in the carb, does the job I guess But I dont recall a TC having that style of carb bowl

The good bit is someone has spent a dollar on it, Maybe a dollar fiddy. has a unifilter thats better than nothing (Airbox is better) and someone has had the carb off, Im guessing an old guy as they are the only ones that use cork. Its not correct but better than no gasket, It wont affect it badly being a little fatter , just make getting the air filter boot on a bit hard but You have a sock unifilter soo....
People change to those because the old rubber boot goes hard and unifilters are easy and readily available.

yeah Im bagging the filter cause you will need to service it a lot more and its not in a still air chamber, still work okay and keeps cockroaches , feral pigs and small children out of the engine. Old trick was to slip a nylon stocking over the filter and just change the stocking between races to peel off the mud.

That engine number is obscure, its not restamped or stolen its just obscure, To date the bike suzuki go by frame number and thats located behind the headlight. It could be an inbetween model or the first or last of a run.
for a rough idea you can just match the paint and decals 72.Red white stripe metal tank badge 73 Green Blue stripe decal 74 Red Blua and white stripe decals. 75 Blue , Ive never seen a 75.

They didnt change much externally but they did in the gearbox.
MyBad

New postby lukegordon723 on Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:13 pm

Thank you to everyone who responded! I appreciate the help and will get some parts ordered to fix the problems you guys noticed. Its probably obvious that this is my first rodeo but it is awesome having a community to give me some help!
lukegordon723

New postby MyBad on Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:48 am

Sounds good. Get her going nicely then make a plan of what you want to do. Read the manual as lots of handy info in it.
MyBad

Return to TC125 'Prospector'