Rims and hubs making you grim.

Social lounge to talk about anything unrelated !

Rims and hubs making you grim.

New postby Butcher on Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:13 am

So last ride on the 125 ended up in tears. Sort of tears of laughter and tears of pain.

To cut to the chase, me chain come off. Chain come off and mangled itself on riverside track. Quick fix, put chain back on. Dirty hands. Issue was, why did it come off?

So further on down the dusty dank track so to speak, chain come off and locked up rear wheel. Happened to be up river bed. No issue. Put chin back on. Damn thing had tangled itself up nicely. No problem. Mate come to check up on me. "Ya chain came off". No problem.

So I stood, taking in the aroma of fresh air and views of babbling water and mud.

Eventually We got the bike fired up and back on track, untill...

Damn chain came of again and pretty much threw all the toys, blankets, matrices and pillow out of the cot screaming.

No problem I said testing Doppler affect of glass cintering (sp , sintering, oh whatever) tantrum!

End result. My chain was toast. I knew that already. Imagine smacking rocks and using small twigs (I used a number 30 twig) to free chain from inside chain cover. Took most of half an hour. We could not tow the beast. Why? Me bloomin' bike would not move! Rear wheel stuck as a stick in poo!

Finally found what Nature provides and found a #22 stick. Chain freed! Spring all over. So, I thought. Can I fix this 100kg piece of .... No. No good. VERY slow trip back to the car park... Made it back with out 1 inch of pushing mind you!

Yea nah bla bla. Did some research with Mr. LWC82PE and myself. Discovered that my bike was using an early '70's wheel. Cush drive. Unfortunately for Mrs. 125 and myself, the cush was more mush. Fix. Screw the bugger together!

Buggered.
IMG_20170419_153557.jpg

Drilled holes.
IMG_20170421_170217.jpg

Testing.
IMG_20170421_170227.jpg

Yes, fits.
IMG_20170421_170302.jpg

Almost. Just needs nylocks.
IMG_20170421_170317.jpg

Fine.
IMG_20170421_171918.jpg

Looking good.
IMG_20170421_171923.jpg

Good news is, she pulled thru! (Had to reverse both sprockets so as to not throw chain as teeth tips were bent somewhat and replace chain)... Off for a muddy ride this weekend, just to test her !

I used 3 of, 8.8 rated steal bolts at dia. 6mm and nylocks. It needs 8mm bolts. Must go for visit to the bolt store soon. Torqued up enough for leasurely ride in the Sun though! Stay safe!
Last edited by Butcher on Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:13 am, edited 5 times in total.
‘Fix it and try again’ - Burt Munro.

‘You live more in 5 minutes on a motorcycle than most people do in a lifetime’ - Burt Munro.
Butcher
Your Rank:TM400 "Cyclone"

Re: Rims and hubs making you grim.

New postby Xedent on Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:35 am

Love it, whats the go with those cush drive hubs what's the advantage / disadvantage?
Xedent
Your Rank:TS125 "Duster"

New postby Butcher on Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:57 am

"Love it, whats the go with those cush drive hubs what's the advantage / disadvantage?"

Thought you were on my xmas list mate!

Shock absorbing me thinks. Probably some obscure Town hall thinking of sore feet, what!, what! but slipped half way across seat, what!

Well, interface of differential comparison between ... '77--'79 and beyond will tell. But newer technology mate... Less is more... Torque (talk, I do so) about "transfer" of energy.

You look at, where the DING! are we? 2017 vs 1917. Roads???

‘You live more in 5 minutes on a motorcycle than most people do in a lifetime’ - Burt Munro.
Butcher

New postby LWC82PE on Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:56 am

Xedent wrote:Love it, whats the go with those cush drive hubs what's the advantage / disadvantage?

Don't worry, you dont need it on your 185 ;) Theres a rubber cush drive inside the clutch instead.

They were more for bullet proofing the TS/SP/DR line really and sort of old school thinking. If you look at most road/trail bikes from the 70's, most had cush drives. Suzuki built these bikes to be tough and last a long time. They came with a warrenty when new and were just built to take more abuse. the RM/PE in comparison were especiall RM's were built more lighter, more fragile, bit less durable, required you to be on top of the maintenance and look after things. Sold with no warrenty. Expected owner to replace with new model after a season or two.

Some cush drives are bad designs. TM/TS250/400, TM125, early XL250's etc. where the sprocket carrier pivots on the hub and wears and becomes sloppy sideways and can then throw chains. Later SP/DR cush hubs are better as they pivot on bearings.

Today i did a repair job on a 72 XL250 hub and got rid of the slop by wrapping a shim made from a drink can around the hub sleeve where the carrier pivots on. Got rid of 90% o the sideways wobble so was heaps happy with that. Gotta make sure it is greased too. The old Suzuki ones had no grease groove, or grease nipple or seal to keep grease in or grease out so overall not too flash. They are a good strong hub though. Bit overkill on TS250 as the same hub is used on the more powerfull TM400.
LWC82PE
Your Rank:TS400 "Apache"

New postby Xedent on Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:27 pm

No worries good info
Xedent
Your Rank:TS125 "Duster"

New postby Butcher on Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:54 am

Conversion was complete success! Mate and I went for 4 hour ride. Bike nevver missed a beat, until plug fouled. I ran out of gas and siphoned some gas from mates tank. I had to asked guy in a 4WD if he had a stubbie (bottle) or can. Sure! he said enthusiastically! I have an empty beer can (I think he had more than one can!)

So, removed fuel hose and filled up about 400mils. Enough to get home. The bike would not run well at all! I think some crap from bottom of my tank had fouled the plug. Would start but would not rev. I got towed back about 2km by my mate (I always carry a rope for towing under the seat!) so that sucked.

But the rear wheel went real well. Chain did not fall of once!

Butcher

New postby LWC82PE on Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:24 am

You need to get a bigger tank!
LWC82PE

New postby Butcher on Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:10 am

7L made 106k trip. 440mils made not far.

Butcher

New postby LWC82PE on Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:04 pm

I got this one for the 1980 but it only holds around 2L more than stock. bit over 9L from memory
Attachments
clarke1.JPG
LWC82PE

New postby EJTS250 on Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:27 pm

So for the Cush hub you took the rubber pads out and drilled holes threw it and put bolts in?
You can always use more power.
EJTS250

New postby Butcher on Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:05 am

That tank would be real nice pressie for me Mr. LWC82PE. Send it over full of cider!

re. tank. I bought $6 which is about 3L of fuel. I had about 1L in tank. That is about 4L. I thought it would of lasted the day.

Issue was, I had 400 mils in the tank (measured it in full beer can) and that went real quick. All I could get out of the bike was for it to idle and fart about in 1st gear. Even that would stall out (no power at all). Hence why we towed it back (bugger pushing it!) But why did the 400 mils dissapear? There was no obvious leaks. I think it went straight thru the motor? Strange.

Anyhow, we got back. Mate and I removed plug and inspected. A bit oily and black. Measured resistance with multimeter. Plug wasn't shorted out. Actually, the spark might of been able to jump the electrode insulator (good old high voltage!).

We fitted a good plug and some gas. Started and ran good. "Fit the old plug back in and try it. I don't want that to happen again out at the river". ok I said. It worked.

Sooo. Hopefully there isn't anything else wrong. Or we might be over thinking stuff???

"So for the Cush hub you took the rubber pads out and drilled holes threw it and put bolts in?"

Yep, as per photos. Actually I might instead of using 3 bolts thru hub, use all 6. I have to go to the screw shop though to buy some 8.8 bolts and some nylocks to match.

Butcher

New postby LWC82PE on Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:11 am

That tank i found NOS for about $60. Its one of the very few aftermarket tanks that will easily fit the 185 without modifications. Distance between head stem and seat is very small on those models. Also hard to find blue tanks too. You can still buy this tank brand new from USA but they are a bit over $200 USD. Can order in any colour. Sometimes used or NOS ones pop up on ebay. The website says they hold 10.2L but its not true. Every single Clarke tank i have ever measured has been a fair bit less than what they claim.

Heres a red one
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Clarke-Red-Petrol-Gas-Fuel-Tank-Honda-78-81-XR185-XR200-82-85-XL200-11365-/361151129763?hash=item541648e8a3:g:TzcAAOSw7ThUjHWb&vxp=mtr

this seller takes offers too.
Last edited by LWC82PE on Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
LWC82PE

New postby Butcher on Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:03 am

Geeze can buy plastic fuel can for about $20. Next time I will 'fill 'er up'. 7 liters is about $16 or something. Better than pushing bike back to trailer. Just could not understand where the fuel went...

Got any photos of that tank on a TS mate ???

ps. TF tank can be made to fit. TF tank is a bit longer though.

My trouble is not that tank is not large enough, but not filling 'er up. (I misjudged amount of fuel required me tinks...) I recall you stating that your local riding spots are wee way aways. May I suggest bringing extra fuel in jerry can and filling bikes tank before departure (off road). Stash empty jerry can in bushes and reclaim after ride.

The yanks came up with wonderful "drop tank" for the marvelous P51 :) Good thinking guys!
Last edited by Butcher on Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

Butcher

New postby LWC82PE on Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:32 am

The TF tank does not work on the leading axle models though. TF has inline axle forks. You will need to put a dent in each side of the tank for the TS forks to clear.
I was also thinking you could get the optional rear carrier and strap a 5L container on the back but then you have to worry about it bouncing around and falling off. Maybe you could could get some alloy sheet and TIG weld up a tank that can bolt to the carrier and be more secure. Or else theres these
http://www.nomadtanks.com.au/
No photo of that tank fitted. I i got it last year. I may try and get to my half buried bike, stick the tank on there and take a pic if i can.
LWC82PE

New postby Butcher on Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:09 am

"The TF tank does not work on the leading axle models though. TF has inline axle forks. You will need to put a dent in each side of the tank for the TS forks to clear."

True.

But with spacer to attach rear bolt, works. Who needs 44 degrees of travel front steering? -wont be perfect, but better than walking home after running out of mojo gas.

"Maybe you could could get some alloy sheet and TIG weld up a tank that can bolt to the carrier and be more secure. Or else theres these"

Thanks. Me mate's (x 2) have DRZ400's. VERY economical on fuel. BUT it depends on how throttle is handled. Amazing fuel economy... spend most of my fuel keeping up with!

Butcher

Next

Return to The Pub