1972 Ts125 Duster, No spark no start.

Everything DS/TS125 should go here

1972 Ts125 Duster, No spark no start.

New postby Mikemile91 on Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:34 pm

I'm not even sure where to start with this thing. I had the bike running before but was having carb issues (i think now I'm not sure). I replaced the carb and now it won't start at all checked for spark and I've got none. it's a points bike I don't even know how to go about diagnosing if its the coil Points or even how to remove the magneto to get to the points and such..... :(
Mikemile91
Your Rank:TS50 "Gaucho"

Re: 1972 Ts125 Duster, No spark no start.

New postby Butcher on Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:40 am

Not sure of your electrical / mechanical abilities, but your plug might be fouled with oil / carbon. What does the spark plug look like? Send a photo so we can see. Carbon / oil can short circuit the spark.

Did you test for spark with plug touching the head and a swift kick ???
Fix it and try again - Burt Munro.
Butcher
Your Rank:TM400 "Cyclone"

New postby Mikemile91 on Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:02 pm

The plug is New there is No spark What so ever. I purchased a Flywheel Puller and a tune up kit (New Points) so I'll install that when it shows up. I've researched quite a lot about my issue.
when my parts get here I'll know more.
Mikemile91

New postby kbzx6r on Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:19 pm

Before you go trying to pull the flywheel and change points you could start with the easy stuff first. Do you have an engine run/off switch on your RH handlebar? The parts manual says not for a 72, but later models had them - and the parts interchange. If you have a switch there, be sure it's in the "run" position. Next, remove the spark plug and then unscrew the spark plug cap from the coil wire, stick the coil wire end real close to the cylinder head and kick it over and check for spark. It should jump at least a 1/16" gap. If it does, use a scissors and cut off about 1/4" of the end of the coil wire, screw the spark plug cap back on, stick in your new spark plug and check for spark again.

If no spark, remove the gas tank, unplug the ignition switch and try the test above again. If still no spark, you can observe the points through the slot in the flywheel. Use a flashlight, turn flywheel by hand and you should be able to see the points open and close. If they start to open about when the timing marks line up, the points might just be a little dirty. You can quick dress them with a small jewlers file, a points file, or a small strip of medium grit wet/dry sandpaper (black colored) folded over so you sand both faces of the points at once. You can use a small screwdriver to open the points, slip the file between them, let the points close onto the file, and then give them a few strokes. Remove the file, re-open the points, and give them a shot of points cleaner or starting fluid to rinse off any abrasive or crud. Then check for spark again. If still no spark, post here again and I'll suggest further troubleshooting.
Drive it like ya stole it
kbzx6r
Your Rank:TC90 "Blazer"

New postby Butcher on Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:12 pm

"Before you go trying to pull the flywheel and change points you could start with the easy stuff first."

Yus. Shotgunning method always ends up in frustration and bankruptcy! Wise Man does one thing at a time and keeps note of any changes!
Last edited by Butcher on Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Butcher

New postby Mikemile91 on Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:28 am

yes, I tried all of the above to no avail. I do not have a kill switch on the bars. I received my parts tody. I haven't spent much $$ on repairs as of yet- well other than the carburetor I'm having doughts about..... so ill check it out asap.
Last edited by Mikemile91 on Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mikemile91

New postby Butcher on Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:38 am

Um, ok. So do you thing problem is...

a) Points
b) ignition coil

??

Do the points open? Let us know... Just trying to save you a bit of money and time... May be an electrical plug has been disconnected between points and coil ?

Get a multimeter as that is good tool for diagnosing electrical issues... where you been researching mate? Manuals? Are you familiar with resistance measurements? Multimeter bloody handy !
Last edited by Butcher on Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Butcher

New postby kbzx6r on Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:33 pm

Second the multimeter. A service manual would be very helpful too. This one...
URL is hidden from guests, please register and login to view the hyperlink

....is for a later model but the basics are there.
You can unplug the magneto main wire connector and check everything including the timing in just a couple minutes. If that checks good then start working toward the coil until you find where the open or ground is. I've attached a couple wiring diagrams to give you an idea of how the system works.
magneto_pointsystem.jpg

tstc125wiringdiagram.jpg
kbzx6r

New postby Mikemile91 on Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:51 am

so I did take off the flywheel it turns out the points were worn out even trying to adjust them didn't help. the contact that rides on the shaft was so worn they wouldn't open anymore. so I replaced it. and adjusted them to spec. now that Chinese carb I bought isn't working. so I'm going to get the parts to better rebuild my old carb. I bought a carb kit before but it didn't really have the correct stuff soo ill just order the little o-rings and gaskets I needed.
Mikemile91

New postby Butcher on Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:54 am

"now that Chinese carb I bought isn't working."

Throw over left shoulder mate. Never trust Chinese carbs! Fix / restore your original Mikuni! Use in soup or something!

"so I'm going to get the parts to better rebuild my old carb."

Good!

Now, I'd recommend buying new points of Japanese descent. No idea where to get them from (Suzuki agent?).

I'd be playing with original points and getting spark before spending any cash. Then, once satisfied that the points were indeed toast, replace (after restoring spark). There is a wick in there (cotton or something) that holds oil and lubes the cam / point nodule (or whatever it is called). Oil it. With spark restored, rest assured you know the actual fault without having to own fancy test gear etc for diagnosis :)

Might be prudent to test and or replace the condenser (actually called a capacitor). I think they need to be 0.19uF ? (probably wrong, but needs to be correct for that bike for good strong spark) You need the correct one as it stops sparking across the point gap, pitting the electrodes. Original one might be fine anyhow. Use mukltimeter to test it's capacitance...

Gosh I am glad I converted my little 125 to CDI! Nothing wrong with points though... They do work, but need maintenance.

Trick is, with flywheel on to adjust point gap to 20 thou of an inch (check manual, might actually be 12-14 thou?). One can turn the flywheel by hand and then adjust the points using a flat bladed screwdriver (I'd have to show you) so as point gap actually opens. Adjust using feeler gauge. The cam presses on the fiber bit of points to open the gap. Tighten up the screw to lock in place etc. (I am sure you know how they work, just assuming the worst.)

Have you adjusted points before mate???
Last edited by Butcher on Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Butcher

New postby Mikemile91 on Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:57 am

no, I've never done points until today but it was easy, I did replace the condenser as well and they were Suzuki parts (points/Condensor) but ya the carb I got was trash.
Last edited by Mikemile91 on Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mikemile91

New postby Butcher on Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:48 am

Well ya start with what ya got and deal with...

Ya 25? Just getting gauge on things ! I off out so catch you later mate... I like getting bikes running so can help....
Butcher

New postby kbzx6r on Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:23 pm

The points cam follower should have a tiny dab of grease behind the cam follower like in the picture below.
points.jpg

Also, if the bike sat for a long time the cam part of the mag rotor may have become rusty. The rust can be removed with fine grit sandpaper. If you leave it, the rust can make the cam follower wear out which will decrease the points gap and retard the timing.
kbzx6r

Return to DS/TS125 'Duster'