HELP; don't know where clear Hose goes!!

Everything TS125 & DS125 should go here

HELP; don't know where clear Hose goes!!

New postby d14vd_h on Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:16 pm

Hi guys while working on my 1977 TS125 I seem to have dislodged a 9'' (ish) clear hose.

Despite the Hohn Thorpe book, original owners manual and the haynes manual i have no idea where it goes.

Initial research suggest its from the carb bow, or reed valve????

But i have no idea, and can see no logical place. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

David
d14vd_h
Your Rank:TS75 "Mini-Cro"

Re: HELP; don't know where clear Hose goes!!

New postby Butcher on Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:34 am

Hello over there in the UK. Take a photo and show us. It WONT be from the reed valve. There is oil feed line that goes to the LH side of the cylinder, just in front of the carb. This feeds 2-smoke oil from the tank via the pump into the crankcase.

There is also a hose that plugs onto the bottom of the carb (brass ferrule on float bowl). This is a fuel overflow tube that gracefully allows fuel to flow onto the ground if bowl overflows / fills. Pooled fuel on the motor is a bad idea (think fireball, deafness and singed pubes!) :cry:

But a photo would be the better option so as We can confirm which hose you are referring too...
Last edited by Butcher on Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fix it and try again - Burt Munro.
Butcher
Your Rank:TM400 "Cyclone"

New postby d14vd_h on Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:01 am

Butcher thanks so much its 100% the overflow tube, it was pointing upwards back along the rear fender and attached to nothing at one end.

SO my question is; which nipple/ ferule on the bottom of the carb does it attach to, there seems to be a number of 'bits' but none obvious for the pipe to slip over...

PS appreciate the welcome, I'll get an intro post up ASAP. Glad to have found the forum.

D

Butcher wrote:Hello over there in the UK. Take a photo and show us. It WONT be from the reed valve. There is oil feed line that goes to the LH side of the cylinder, just in front of the carb. This feeds 2-smoke oil from the tank via the pump into the crankcase.

There is also a hose that plugs onto the bottom of the carb (brass ferrule on float bowl). This is a fuel overflow tube that gracefully allows fuel to flow onto the ground if bowl overflows / fills. Pooled fuel on the motor is a bad idea (think fireball, deafness and singed pubes!) :cry:

But a photo would be the better option so as We can confirm which hose you are referring too...
d14vd_h

New postby Butcher on Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:18 am

Cool man. Scottish blood here with drop of English and french. 100% kiwi...

"its 100% the overflow tube"

Well replace the bugger. but, there is reason why fuel overflows. Cause the fuel cutoff valve is poopoo.

Relax and send some lovely photos for us to cherish!

"SO my question is; which nipple/ ferule on the bottom of the carb does it attach to, there seems to be a number of 'bits' but none obvious for the pipe to slip over..."

Feel under like cow farmer!

Welcome. Wee get the little bugger going.

that aside, have you pulled the carb apart mate? give 'er a look over. CARBS ARE VERY SENSITIVE.

ps. I was looking at photos of bikes I have of that era. I could NOT find a good photo to share with you. But... Tip... Look at Suzy bikes from say, '71 thru '76 on the internet and you will see externally WHf is going on...

good too hear you knee deep in the service manual. Very interesting book...
Last edited by Butcher on Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Butcher

New postby d14vd_h on Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:11 am

IMG_2482.JPG
Image of the carb attached,
I cannot see for the life of me what the hose attached too, nothing seems to have a hole where anything would come out, i assume its tiny brass bit you can just see?

I've attached a google image of the carb if theres a chance of circling the bit and circling it on image of my bike that would be amazing,

I'll need to get a clip/clamp/zip tie on there too
Attachments
images.jpg
images.jpg (8.26 KB) Viewed 149 times
747.png
700.png
d14vd_h

New postby Butcher on Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:02 am

Keep original carb. Chinese carbs are, well, not as good as mikuni.

IMG_2482-2.jpg
Last edited by Butcher on Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Butcher

New postby Butcher on Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:03 am

Um, why are you throwing away a good carb and replacing with crap??
Butcher

New postby d14vd_h on Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:14 am

Butcher wrote:Um, why are you throwing away a good carb and replacing with crap??

oh im not carb is staying precisely where it is, was just using those photos for reference as i though the place where the hose goes might be more visible in the photos.
d14vd_h

New postby kbzx6r on Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:14 pm

It looks like your carb has a float bowl overflow tube that goes straight up inside the float bowl to a level a little higher than the normal fuel level. It's there in case your float needle valve ever develops a leak. If that happens, the excess fuel will flow out the overflow tube rather than down into your crankcase. The overflow nipple is marked on your picture...
700.jpg

....and there is supposed to be a little overflow hose connected to it. The hose goes backwards and then down into the gap between the back of the engine and front of the swing arm.

Your carb also has a float bowl vent to allow air into the float bowl so fuel can flow through the jets as the engine runs. This vent goes a brass tube (or two) coming out the side of the carb. I marked where I think they are on the pic above. There were a couple different types of vents used. I have the type that has a hole right in the end of the nipple and requires a hose....
float-bowl-vent-hose.jpg

...but the other type has a little hole drilled up through the bottom wall of the brass piece(s), rather than in the end. This type does not use a hose, and if you put a hose on it the hose will block the hole, thus un-venting the float bowl, and your bike will not run properely.

One last thing - if you've got a conventional lead/acid battery with the three caps you are also supposed to have a battery overflow hose. It's often clear as well. It's also supposed to be routed into the gap between the back of the engine and front of the swing arm.
Drive it like ya stole it
kbzx6r
Your Rank:TS75 "Colt"

New postby d14vd_h on Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:43 pm

sir, you are a genius many many thanks.

Attached is another pic of my carb, I have the brass vent with the hole in the body as mentioned.

I'll double check my battery, but given the location i found the tube, the fact it doesn't smell of fuel and that my battery was just replaced this sounds a good candidate.

That said should my carb have an overflow hose regardless or could it be of a type that doesn't require it?

If there is anyway of getting a photo of your battery with hose in situ I'd be most appreciative.
Attachments
IMG_2470.JPG
d14vd_h

New postby kbzx6r on Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:06 pm

Your carb definitely has the type of float bowl vent on the side of the body that does NOT use a hose. I recall the float bowl overflow nipples on the bottom of the carb always had hoses, but the bike would run fine without it. The hose was there so any overflow gas would not just run out onto the engine. Also, in case you got into water deeper than the bottom of the carb, the hose prevented water from backflowing up into the carb.

I don't have a good pic of my battery vent hose and routing handy but I'll try getting one tonight after work and I'll post it then. That battery vent hose is real important. When I bought my bike there was not one on it. I have no idea how long it was ridden that way, but obviously long enough that there was all kinds of battery acid corrosion all over the battery box, resistor, bottom of the airbox, frame and swing arm.
Drive it like ya stole it
kbzx6r
Your Rank:TS75 "Colt"

New postby d14vd_h on Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:32 pm

Great intel and much appreciated.

Thanks for your time and look forward to the photo

Best
David

kbzx6r wrote:Your carb definitely has the type of float bowl vent on the side of the body that does NOT use a hose. I recall the float bowl overflow nipples on the bottom of the carb always had hoses, but the bike would run fine without it. The hose was there so any overflow gas would not just run out onto the engine. Also, in case you got into water deeper than the bottom of the carb, the hose prevented water from backflowing up into the carb.

I don't have a good pic of my battery vent hose and routing handy but I'll try getting one tonight after work and I'll post it then. That battery vent hose is real important. When I bought my bike there was not one on it. I have no idea how long it was ridden that way, but obviously long enough that there was all kinds of battery acid corrosion all over the battery box, resistor, bottom of the airbox, frame and swing arm.
d14vd_h

New postby Butcher on Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:36 pm

No don't attach two tubes to the side of the TS125 carb! It will block the holes! These two brass ferrules are for pressure equalization! Keeps the internal carb pressure the same as outside. Keeps the a/f mixture spot on.

The 125 has not got holes on the ends of the brass bits. The holes are on the underside of them. A tube will block the holes and you will have trouble.

My TS185 has holes on the ends, but all my three 125s don't.

I have modified my 125 carb by chopping off the ends of the tubes and fitting tubes. This is so I can cross rivers without flooding the carb!!!

I will see if I can find a photo of my modded carb.

Thanks for the photo mate. I have rotated it and re uploaded it. I have no idea why the forum software rotates certain images!

Also looks like your bike is a '77-'78 model. Uses reed valves :)

IMG_2470 Fixed.jpg

Below is my modified 125 carb :)

IMG_20170224_172656 Modified Carb.jpg
Last edited by Butcher on Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Butcher

New postby Butcher on Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:37 pm

Also, slide the metal clip up and onto the banjo bolt otherwise tube might come off and starve the motor of 2-stroke oil and seize the engine. See attached photo...

IMG_2470 Clip.jpg

Also note how the TS125 has only ONE oil line from pump to engine!!!

Below is where the equalisation tube is. DON'T fit plastic tube on here!

IMG_2470 Equalisation.jpg

The later TSs with the mark II engines are much different than the earlier TSs!

Below is where the drain hole tube should be fitted. The hose should act to drain out fuel down and out onto the ground behind the swingarm... This is so for All TSs... One should buy a new piece of PVC hose and fit. Very cheap. The old ones go yellow and brittle :) The TSs use a 3mm PVC tube.

IMG_2470 Drain Tube.jpg
Last edited by Butcher on Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:37 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Butcher

New postby Butcher on Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:42 pm

One other thing. I see your fuel line runs up and then down to the carb. As these bikes are gravity fed, the hose should run straight down. An affect of this is the float bowl won't fill fast enough and the engine will run lean and seize! I fixed a pit bike with this trouble. The bike would not start very well but after modifying the tube bike would start first kick :)

Info on your bike is here... This is for '79-'89, but I think the info is the same as in the manual below ?

http://suzukits.informe.com/forum/service-data-manuals-wiring-diagrams-microfiche-f121/re-suzuki-ts125er-uk-79-89-service-data-t1073.html

Manual for your bike is here...

http://suzukits.informe.com/forum/service-data-manuals-wiring-diagrams-microfiche-f121/ts125c-manual-pdf-june-1978-t897.html
Butcher

Next

Return to TS125 & DS125 'Duster'